Focus: Chair Seat Cushion
Since the innersprings and webbing of this re-painted vintage chair were in good shape, I could get started on adding dacron. I saved the muslin seat cover, because it was also in good condition. You'll need very sharp, large shears to cut the dacron. In this case, it didn't need to be a perfect circle, because I'd be trimming further later on. But, it was key that I thinned out the dacron, which was fairly thick, because I didn't want the seat to be too high to accommodate the new seat cover to be sewn. To create a smooth new seat, I focused on thinning out the dacron only on its underside and along its sides. If you try to thin the top of the dacron, you'll no longer have its smoothness. Your seat will end up lumpy! In keeping with the feminine, vaguely Swedish Gustavian feel of the re-painted chair, I selected an embroidered floral fabric and tried to center the repeated pattern on the seat (more about fabric selection in my next post). I used the original seat cushion cover as a template for cutting 2 pieces: a round top with some excess and a rectangular piece to go around the sides of the seat cushion that had enough excess to accommodate piping for a self-welt and attach to the round top piece of fabric. Lastly, I selected a delicate cream braid as a trim to cover the staples along the bottom edge of the seat. Much progress!